Frederick Malleson Reels – Brooklyn, NY

Frederick Malleson reels were made when he was a partner in the company Conroy, Bissett & Malleson and after he separated from them in 1881. This company was the successor to the company J.C. Conroy & Co. Their products were split bamboo rods, reels and other sporting goods. Malleson used his knowledge of making split bamboo rods and was granted a patent on March 18, 1879 for an “Archery Bow.” The bow was made of hard wood and split bamboo and was featured in the Conroy, Bissett & Malleson product line. In 1881, Malleson separated from the company and he assumed control of the production department. The company name changed to Conroy & Bissett. After 1883, the company name was changed to Thomas J. Conroy and Malleson continued to supply reels to the Conroy showroom at 65 Fulton Street. Most of the Malleson made reels do not bear his name since he was supplying them to the large fishing tackle dealers. If requested, he would put the tackle dealers name on their reels.

Malleson’s second patent was granted September 4, 1883 for a “Fishing Reel.” It is considered to be one of the first multiplying fly reels. With the flip of an arrow head shaped lever, the click is engaged or disengaged. Malleson called his reel “The Patent Perfection Treble Multiplying Reel.” The first model of the reel he sold resembled that shown in the 1883 patent. The second model had raised pillars for increased line capacity. During the 1880’s, Malleson was making reels as a wholesale manufacturer with the company Thomas J. Conroy being his main customer. He was also selling his Patent Perfection reel and other Frederick Malleson reels through different sporting goods businesses like William M. Cornwall in Brooklyn; Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett & Co. in Chicago; and Edw. K. Tryon in Philadelphia. Most of Malleson company reels are made of nickel plated brass. Some of his higher quality reels were made of German silver and are spectacular. Frederick Malleson often shortened his name to KRED’K MALLESON on the reels and rods he made.

The Malleson’s rod business was acquired by Montague City Rod Company in 1893. They also acquired the reel business in 1898. This would have been the end of the Malleson fishing tackle business. The 17 years of the Malleson fishing tackle business produced some great reels and rods. Fredrick Malleson is considered one of the great New York reel makers.


The FRED’K MALLESON German Silver Reel with Rim Actuated Drag

FRED’K MALLESON Brass Reel

The FREDERICK MALLESON “Patent Perfection” Second Model Reel – Circa 1885

The FREDERICK MALLESON Reel Made for Abbey & Imbrie

The FREDERICK MALLESON Salmon Reel

The FREDERICK MALLESON Salmon Reel

FREDERICK MALLESON 1883 and 1885 Magazine Ads

FREDERICK MALLESON 1879 and 1883 Patents

FREDERICK MALLESON Invoice and Letterheads


To see an article about Frederick Malleson that was in the ORCA Reel News newsletter written by Ron Gast, click on the link below.


Another Great Antique Vintage Fishing Tackle Link:

https://luresnreels.com